Urban Wood Rescue Intern
The Urban Wood Rescue Intern works to support the Urban Wood Rescue Program's new specialty milling and lumber drying operations. The intern may handle lumber (lifting, sorting, stacking, and moving), conduct research, assist with outreach and educational initiatives, and/or help with marketing and sales activities. Interns should expect to work in both office and outdoor environments.
Duration of internship
Number of hours/week
Weekly commitment of 8-24 hours
Approximate start date
- Assist with milling operations
- Move, sort, stack, and sticker lumber
- Load and unload wood products into vehicles
- Inventory, measure, and record log and lumber dimensions
- Operate planers, saws, and other woodworking tools and equipment
- Maintain equipment and tools as directed
- Contribute to organizational projects, as required
- Keep an orderly and safe work space
- Conduct research, compile information, and share with appropriate staff
- Enter data into tracking systems
- Conduct outreach
- Plan and facilitate educational workshops
- Make phone calls, respond to/draft emails, and facilitate other customer service-related activities
EDUCATION: Some education in urban forestry, environmental science/studies, business, marketing, or related field is helpful.
EXPERIENCE: Prior experience with nonprofit organizations is helpful.
SKILLS: Excellent communication skills; Must be proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook; Must be able to use iPads and iPhones with relevant applications; Knowledge of urban forestry practices, lumber, or tree care industries helpful but not required; Valid driver's license ideal but not required.
TEMPERAMENT/SOFT SKILLS: Must have a good sense of humor and an ability to get along with a wide variety of people; Must be flexible and able to adapt to change; Must be comfortable working alone, with a team, and with volunteers; Must be able to lift 70 lbs., walk and work safely on uneven terrain, perform repetitive movements and work outside in all weather conditions for extended periods of time; Must be organized, dependable, and able to follow directions and work under minimum supervision; Must be comfortable working in an organization dedicated to protecting natural resources through direct advocacy and community engagement.
This is a volunteer, unpaid internship position based at the Sacramento Tree Foundation office (191 Lathrop Way, Suite D, Sacramento, CA 95815) and Urban Wood Rescue Yard located at Depot Park (16 Business Park Way, Sacramento, CA 95828).
The Intern Will Receive
- Orientation to the Sacramento Tree Foundation
- Training on Urban Wood Rescue Program mission, special tools and equipment, milling lumber, and more
- Hands-on, direct experience contributing to the outcomes of the Urban Wood Rescue Program, including experience with utilizing a variety of tools and equipment and learning the various aspects of a nonprofit organization
- Exposure to urban wood rescue network and resources
- Certificate of Completion or Letter of Recommendation upon successful completion of the internship
- Scholastic internship credits, as desired and approved by your school
- Our gratitude and thanks!
To apply, please email your resume and cover letter to email@example.com with the subject line "Urban Wood Rescue Internship Application."
For more information, contact our Volunteer Specialist at 916-974-4310 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include "Urban Wood Rescue Internship" in your subject line.